Why do I share such a shameful story, well, it just demonstrates the accomplishments of my sweet Emily and leaves me amazed (and thankful).
We have a bit of a morning routine on my non-working days. We get up and dressed and I fix breakfast for the girls. Riley eats in the blue room while she can watch her morning t.v shows, while Emily eats in her highchair in the dining room while I check my e-mail.
So, yesterday morning a received an e-mail from a friend that left me a bit (well more than a bit) distraught and distracted. While I am immersed in my response, Emily finishes her breakfast and squawks while energetically doing the 2 arms in the air "up" sign. So I bring her down out of the chair and let her play at my feet.
About 5 minutes later I hear "mamma, maaamma, maaaaaamma", and in realizing that it isn't Riley's voice that I hear, panic sets in. I run to the "blue room", Riley is still watching her show, but no Emily. So I race to the "red room" - no Emily, then I check the bathroom - no Emily. I hear another "maaamma", I turn to follow the voice and realize that the gate to the upstairs is not in its position. A heightened panic sets in as a race to the top of the stairs - only to find Emily standing at the top smiling and patiently waiting for me to respond to her call. What could possibly make her think to call me instead of taking the plunge to the landing below is beyond me. I can't tell you how many times I have intervened with a potential header. But at the top of the stairs, that she tackled all on her own, she waited. What a clever little thing. Makes me proud to have the size of her cranium measured on a routine basis.
DISCLAIMER: Reenacted Photo depicting actual events.
Or you could lock the bottom gate, take a telephone call, get distracted, and realize that your baby has Climbed. Over. The. Gate. and is merrily upstairs playing with his sister in the playroom.
ReplyDeleteDid I mention Over. The. Gate.??????
You're not a bad mommy. Sometimes it happens.
If it makes you feel any better, our cleaning lady broke the childlock on the cupboard that holds all the cleaners, about 2 months ago, and we haven't replaced it. Oh yeah, and we still haven't installed the smoke detectors since we moved in.
ReplyDelete