
Tonight was our 3rd book club gathering and it was a very good night. We had read the book Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, a book I really enjoyed. Winner of the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for fiction and a previous Oprah's book club read. It was pretty "meaty" as the girls would say and there was definitely some mixed reviews tonight. The lowest rating being 2/5 and the highest (mine) at 4.5/5. Not sure why I enjoyed this book so much, as the topic was a little off what I am usually interested in, but I loved his writing style, the Greek history and all of the genetic components. It is essentially a book about a hermaphrodite, born with XY chromosomes, but because of a genetic flaw was thought to be and was raised as a girl. The book dives into the history of how he came to be born this way, and ends up where he is today. (Interestingly enough, the book reads, or at least to me with him having a female voice). Anyway, my point is, I recommend the book, with caution they several others really didn't like it to much.
We had a very nice evening at Laura's. For our book club, we rotate houses and the host provides a drink or snack that somehow relates to the book. Seeing as the book was based upon Greek immigrants, she had the hummus and pitas and some fabulous baklava. She also played on the main character's family business - hot dog stands, and had the cutest little hot dog rolls.
I'm hosting the next meeting so stay tuned.
I bought this book back when it won the Pulitzer and still it sits on my bookshelf. I haven't been able to get into it yet, since the subject matter isn't something that necessarily compells me. I will have to give it another go.
ReplyDelete